Improving on it for Mirage, Mitsubishi R&D added straight and large section front cross-members, so called “Multi-load pass frame”. Together with a reinforced cabin, they contribute to better energy management in case of a front crash.
In the area of pedestrian safety, Mirage will obviously comply with the new EU regulations enforced from 2013, furthermore, Mirage will offer 6 airbags (incl. side & curtain) as standard equipment
Through CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) analysis and wind tunnel testing, MMC design team focused their efforts over aerodynamic performance, (from the clam-shell hood to the – new patent pending - tapered rear roofline), providing a drag coefficient (Cd) of just 0.27 – one of the lowest in its class, if not the lowest, to the benefit of fuel economy, emissions and drivability Mirages’high-efficiency packaging keeps the engine compartment as compact as possible to optimise occupant space. While smaller than conventional compact cars, the body dimensions make it highly manoeuvrable while providing good interior space for five adults and sufficient luggage space for everyday use (interior length representing 65% of the overall length of the car – cargo volume from 235 l VDA measured). The front end design allows the driver to see both edges of the engine hood, making it easier to determine the positioning of the vehicle. Locating the A-pillars closer to the front occupants and starting the belt line low down at the front contributes to offer an excellent field of vision, both forward and to the side.
Together with a turning radius of just 4.6 m - among the smallest in its class - this packaging allows the driver to maneuver with confidence when turning at intersections, driving along narrow roads or when parking.
- In Europe, the Mirage is powered by a new generation of lightweight and compact low friction 3-cylinder petrol engines, available in either 1.0 l or 1.2 l displacements. Lively and thrifty, both use Mitsubishi Motors’ MIVEC variable valve timing system (Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing Electronic Control system)
- Together with a painstaking reduction of engine friction and engine load as well
as weight reduction, aerodynamic performance, transmission efficiency and MMC’s low CO2 technologies (see below), Mirage can boast high level of fuel economy and emissions, amongst the best in the segment:
| || Output || Torque || 0-100 km/h || Fuel cons. |
| CO2 emissions |
| Space Star 1.0 |
| 71 ps || 88 Nm || 13”6 || 4.0 l/100km || 92 g/km |
| Space Star 1.2 |
| 80 ps || 106 Nm || 11”7 || 4.1 l/100 km || 96 g/km |
- As customary now with Mitsubishi Motors products in Europe, Mirage is equipped (depending on market and model) with the full palette of low CO2 technologies, including:
- Auto Stop & Go,
- Regenerative braking system,
- High-efficiency 95 Ah alternator,
- Intelligent battery sensor (“IBS”),
- 165/65R14 low friction tyres,
For Mirage, this package now also features a 3-bar “Eco Drive Assist” display in the instrument cluster (depending on market and model) meant to gives a visual indication of how economically the vehicle is being driven based on current fuel consumption and vehicle speed.
Last but not least, as an alternative to the standard 5-speed manual gearbox, Mirage can be fitted with the newest version of Mitsubishi’s INVECS-III CVT wide-ratio transmission (depending on market and model) which now uses a sub-gear train to deliver a better acceleration and fuel economy. Extending the engine speed range over which the lockup clutch engages and optimisation of transmission control has contributed to a further reduction in fuel consumption without affecting acceleration performance.
- Mirage’sbasic set up is MacPherson struts at the front with stabiliser bar and a torsion beam axle with coil springs at the rear, optimised to provide easy and stable handling, as well as a very comfortable ride. Stream-lining the suspension configuration has reduced its weight, contributing to better fuel economy.
- For the sake of fuel economy, Mirage is equipped with a sharp electric powered rack & pinion steering (3.48 turns, lock to lock).
- Braking system for Europe is courtesy of (depending on market and model):
- Powered front ventilated discs / rear drums,
- ABS + Active Stability Control + Traction Control + Brake Assist
- Hill Start Assist (CVT only) + Emergency Stop Signal System
For a long time, Mitsubishi Motors has implemented processes and systems to ensure that very high levels of development and production quality are realised on a common basis at its production units around the world.
In the area of production, the “Mitsubishi Motors Production Way” (MMPW) system is employed to achieve rigorous quality assurance at each of its production facilities through a “station completion” process where only defect-free units are allowed to pass to the next work station on the assembly line.
With Mirage, Mitsubishi Motors is making even greater efforts to improve production quality. Since Mirage is an all-new model being produced at a brand-new factory in Thailand, all cars undergo a pre-shipment inspection conducted by seasoned Japanese inspectors, in addition to the normal line-off inspection. The Japanese inspectors also provide training and guidance to local personnel.
- Length: 3710 mm
- Width: 1665 mm
- Height: 1490 mm
- Wheelbase: 2450 mm
- Tracks: 1430 mm / 1415 mm
- Weight: from 845kg
- Seating capacity: 5
- Cd: 0.27
- Tyre size: 165/65R14 and 175/55R15
- Trunk capacity: from 235 l (VDA measured)
| || 1.0 l MIVEC AS&G || 1.2 l MIVEC AS&G || 1.2 l MIVEC AS&G |
| || (5-speed M/T) || (5-speed M/T) || (CVT) |
| Displacement |
0 – 100 km/h
| 999 cc |
52 kW (71 ps)
@ 6000 rpm
88 Nm @ 5000 rpm
| 1193 cc |
59 kW (80 ps)
@ 6000 rpm
106 Nm @ 4000 rpm
| 1193 cc |
59 kW (80 ps)
106 Nm@4000 rpm
| - 1.0 litre MIVEC: |
- 1.2 litre MIVEC:
| 5 M/T |
5 M/T orCVT
 New Outlander, Lancer & Lancer Evolution, Delica D:5, ASX
 RVR or "Outlander Sport", depending on markets
As a reminder, Mitsubishi Motors ranked # 3 in the 2012 in the Vehicle Ownership Satisfaction StudySM (VOSS) researched by J.D. Power and Associates and AUTO TEST in Germany
 1.0 litre engine w/AS&G and 5M/T - combined EU cycle
 Where Legal (1) equipped with 14' wheels
Mitsubishi Motors in the UK Press Office
For further information, images and video content please contact the Mitsubishi Motors in the UK Press Office by telephone on 00 44 1285 647 200 or visit our media centre online at www.mitsubishi-media.co.uk. Or you can contact Vanessa or Shona as below:
Media Usage Terms
I agree that all creative assets including but not limited to photos, logos, sketches, images and artwork are for I agree to these terms and conditions
editorial use only. All commercial use of these creative assets, including but not limited to advertising,
marketing and merchandising, is strictly prohibited.